Ovalle and Fray Jorge National Park
Map view full size
Get to know more about the Destination
The main attractive of the area is Fray Jorge National Park, located by the side of the Limarí River. The park has a forest with native vegetation and fauna. Ecotourism is the main activity in the park and in the Encanto Valley, with geoglyphs and ancient paintings. The Pichasca National Monument is a old forest with ancient animal representations. Sport is important too: aquatic activities can be done in La Paloma, Cogoti and Recoleta dams. You can visit cultural spots, such as Monte Patria, Ovalle, Rio Hurtado, Combarbala and Punitaqui. Religious tourism invites tourists to enjoy Catholic celebrations, such as the Niño Dios of Sotaqui, and Fiesta de la Virgen de la Piedra.
- Flora and fauna. Archaeological and historical interest zone. Water with medicinal properties and religious ceremonies.
- Walkings, picnic, flora and fauna contemplation, photography.
- Fourth region.
- How to get there?
- Anywhere-La Serena: Land route, by Panamericana Highway north (473 kilometer) Santiago, Arica, Iquique, Antofagasta, Copiapo-La Serena: Airway. La Serena-Ovalle: Land route, by Route D-43 or D-45, conecting with the Panamericana Highway.
- When to go?
- All year long.
- The annual temperature is 23ºC during summer time, meanwhile during winter time the temperature reaches 7ºC. The media annual rain is 113 milimeters, although in the park the rain oscillates between 800 and 1000 milimiters.
- Housing, food, transportation, outdoor activities, transportation, information center.
- Barraza, Caren, Combarbala, La Paloma Dam, recoleta Dam, La Chimba, Monte Patria, Pichasca Natural Monumet, Ovalle, La Gallardita ecologycal park, Fray Jorge National Park, Salala, Sataqui, Encanto valley, Rio Hurtado valley.
Some featured hotels in Ovalle and Fray Jorge National Park
Ovalle and Fray Jorge National Park touristic attractions
Near touristic attractions
|Morrillos Beach||30 mi|
|Tololo Observatory Hill||36 mi|
|Totoralillo Beach||36 mi|
|La Serena and Coquimbo||40 mi|
|La Serena||43 mi|
Destinations by Areas of Chile
- Atacama Desert and Altiplano
- La Serena, beaches and astronomy
- Valparaíso, Santiago and Vineyards
- Easter Island
- Lakes and Volcanoes District
- North Patagonia and Black Forest
- South Patagonia and Torres del Paine