Overland Carretera Austral Sur
8 days / 7 nights Code: SAT003
This Tour is no longer available
Unfortunately we no longer offer this Tour, but we haven't removed the information so you can have more ideas for your trip. If you want something similar write us.
Places you will see
Average: 5,0 / 5 Based on 1 of our traveler's comments
"Debo expresar que me he sentido muy satisfecho por vuestros servicios; Por el contrario. En este viaje tuve un pequeño problema con LAN, debido al atraso de su vuelo. Me resolvieron el inconveniente de inmediato; Siempre que he viajado a Chile, por distintos medios, me he sentido como en mi propia casa."
Carretera Austral, at the south of the world, far and distant place whose voyage fills your senses and it is a long lasting reminder for travellers in time. A trip in Overland is a commitment for those fond of adventure and nature.
We invite you to live the Overland´s unique experience. An experience to live with your family, with your partner, or with your friends, in the most beauty and unknown parks in Chile.
You don´t need to be an adventurer to be in touch with the virgin nature from extreme zones, gar away from the city, with extremely beautiful landscapes, a rich in endemic species flora and fauna, and with native inhabitants only. These are the destinations of an special interests turism every time more required.
Day 01: COYHAIQUE – CERRO CASTILLO VILLAGE – GENERAL CARRERA LAKE – PUERTO RIO TRANQUILO.
Departure from Coyhaique in the morning heading the General Carrera Lake. We will pass through Cerro Castillo National Reserve, Vista Hermosa, Piedra del Conde and the Ibañez River valley, with and marvellous view to the Hudson Volcano and to the 2,675 mt/8,774 feet high Cerro Castillo sharp peaks, covered with fine rocky threads.
Picnic Lunch on the way.
Continuing to Puerto Murta, we border the General Carrera Lake and arrive in Puerto Rio Tranquilo. Sail through the General Carrera Lake, with a deep blue colour that contrasts with the emerald green of some bays, a visit to the Marble Chapel, Nature Sanctuary where you will see caves with brilliant marble walls polished by the sea effect.
Accommodation in hostelry.
Day 02: PUERTO TRANQUILO RIVER –BAKER RIVER – COCHRANE – CALETA TORTEL.
We will continue our trip along the banks of the General Carrera Lake, to arrive at Puerto Bertrand, where the Baker River begins. We continue bordering this impressive turquoise colour water river to finally arrive in the city of Cochrane, province capital. Picnic Lunch.
Southwards, we found an outstanding spectacle, which are the Northern Ice fields and then arrive at Caleta Tortel in the evening, located at the Baker River delta, estuary of fiords and waterways between the Northern and Southern Ice fields.
Accommodation in hostelry.
Day 03: CALETA TORTEL.
Activities in Caleta Tortel all day long. This town is located on the sea shore, being all its structures supported on the rock, with Guaitecas Cypress trunks. There are no streets, but 7.5 km/12 miles of gateways and stairways. It is an exciting experience to walk across them and you should do it. Picnic Lunch
Sailing to the Muertos Island (MN), located at the Baker River delta. Optional you could sail to the Steffens Icefield in a full day tour.
Day 04: CALETA TORTEL – O’HIGGINS VILLAGE.
Our Austral trip continues towards Puerto Yungay, where we cross the Mitchell Fiord by ferry up to the Bravo River slope, in a narrow valley, with sharp rocks and where we often see some Huemuls. From here, a continuous succession of lakes and lagoons begins and also, a beautiful view to the Cordon Nevado with Hanging Glaciers and several waterfalls.
Afterwards, we arrive at the Villa O’Higgins frontier town, located in the mouth of the Mayer River, one of the scarce flat places in the area, surrounded by marshlands and steep mountains. Accommodation in lodge.
Day 05: O’HIGGINS VILLAGE.
Activities in O’Higgins Village all day long. Tour around the village, founded in 1966, visit to the Padre Roncci Museum and Cerro Santiago sightseeing with beatifull view of the viilage, to the south is the lake O’Higgins, where the Austral Highway ends in Bahamondez Bay. Trekking to the patrimonial route Sendero Rio Mosco. Box lunch for trekking.
Optional you could sail in full day tour to the O’Higgins Glacier or Big Icefield.
Day 06: O’HIGGINS VILLAGE – COCHRANE.
We will begin our trip back, passing through the Colonel Van Schouwen hanging bridge, 83 mt/134 miles long. We will continue among the valleys, marshlands and mosses, through Paso Colgado, close to a 150 mt/492 feet cliff over the Bravo River. Cross by ferry to Puerto Yungay.
We continue our way to Cochrane to arrive in the afternoon.
Accommodation in cabins. Dinner.
Day 07: COCHRANE - CHILE CHICO.
Departure from Cochrane to the North, passing through the Tamango National Park and the Chacabuco Valley to arrive at the banks of the beautiful Bertrand Lake. In El Maiten, bordering the General Carrera Lake, we visit Puerto Guadal, founded in 1934 by Lucas Bridges, port used to take the production to Argentina across the General Carrera Lake. Picnic Lunch
We will cross the Paso of the Keys, open recently in 1991, and finally arrive in Chile Chico in the afternoon. Accommodation in Hotel. Dinner.
Day 08: CHILE CHICO – FERRY – PORT IBAÑEZ – COYHAIQUE.
Departure from Chile Chico by Ferry, in the morning, and in 03 hours we cross the General Carrera
Lake to arrive to Port Ingeniero Ibañez, founded in 1921, in 1952 was open the route to Coihaique,
and Port Ibañez is main important because communicated all the people that lives at the border of General Carrera Lake. Picnic Lunch.
Departure from Puerto Ibañez and we will cross the del Diablo Slope, passing through Portezuelo Ibañez, Simpson Village and finally arrive in Coyhaique in the afternoon.
End of our services.
January 19 2014
January 28 2014
February 06 2014
February 15 2014
March 08 2014
Hostelry Costanera, Puerto Tranquilo River (1 night)
Hostelry Costanera, Caleta Tortel (2 nights)
Hostelry and Camping El Mosco, O’Higgins Village (2 night)
Brellenthin Cabins, Cochrane (1 night)
Posada del Rio Hotel, Chile Chico (1 night)
- Coordinating guide, backup guide and Satour driver, professionals with wide experience in trips, all through the trip.
- Meals according to schedule.
- Passengers insurance in case of car accidents.
- Every trip described on the program.
- Ferry ticket.
- Air ticket. Santiago /Coyhaique/Santiago.
- Sleeping bag.
- Museums and National Park tickets.
- Trips not specified on the program.
- Services not listed on the program
- Any kind of beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic).
Equipment and Logistics:
We have a group of people with wide experience, with the proper vehicle, the needed supplies and logistics to make this adventure come true and discover the most hidden places in the marvellous and Southernmost Patagonia. Specialized tour guide in charge of the expedition, a driver for the whole trip with unique knowledge of the road, and a guide in charge of the kitchen stuff. This tour is carried out thoroughly with our Overland which has the following features:
- The “Overland” bus: Mercedes Benz OF 1417. It has 18 soft reclining seats, observation terrace, photographs and luggage on the top of the vehicle, heating system and air conditioning, audio and radio system, microphone.
- Baggage car in the backside of the vehicle.
- Kitchen and full service equipment. Refrigerator, tables and stools for 18 people.
- Doite tents for 2 or 3 people with Doite self-inflatable light mattresses and feather pillows.
- Auxiliary kit equipment for soils in bad state.
- Fully equipped with first aid kit.
Trips by Overland have a harmonious concept, cooperation, participation, mutual respect and most important, tolerance with the others. Thus, even though there is someone in charge of the kitchen, it does not mean that whoever wants to participate can do so.
Regarding meals, these include:
- Breakfast: cereals, yoghurt, bread, marmalade, cheese, milk, coffee, tea and herbs, amongst others.
- Box lunch: It depends if it takes place in the route or in a tour. The former is based in a picnic, generally cold, for example: cold meat, potatoes, tuna tortilla or vegetable tortillas, salads, soup or sandwiches prepared by the same passengers plus beverages. Box lunch for the trip is generally based in sandwiches prepared by the same participants after breakfast, fruit, cereals or chocolate bars and beverages. - Dinner: the most important meal of the day, along with breakfast. It includes hors d’oeuvre or hot soup, main course and dessert, with beverages.
Regarding schedule, in the Patagonia dawn takes place much earlier and, because of sleeping in tents, the first activities begin early in the morning. Likewise, daily activities require a good recess, so they are stopped at the proper time, to adequately rest.
- Reserves the right to include photos or videos and other visual material of the passengers in advertising material in order to promote.
- The trips do not include special insurances, just the one for the vehicle to be used. We recommend our passengers to get a suitable insurance.
- Can delay departures up to 24 hours before or modify the schedule if the weather demands it or for reasons beyond its control. The company could cancel the trip if the problem remains and passengers will receive a full refund. There is no additional refund for the passenger.
- Departures with 15 passengers minimum. If this is the case, there is full refund for the money paid, but without additional payment for the passengers.
- Refund Policies:
* 45 days before departure: 100%.
* 44-30 days before departure: 90% or tranfer to another person.
* 29-15 days before departure: 75% or tranfer to another person.
* 14-1 days before departure: 50% or transfer to another person.
* No show: 0%.