San Pedro de Atacama - Flamingo Route
3 days / 2 nights Code: CDA001
Places you will see
|Los Flamencos National Reserve|
|Miscanti and Miñiques Lagoons|
|Salt Mountain Rage|
|San Pedro de Atacama|
Average: 4,4 / 5 Based on 5 of our traveler's comments
"dar las gracias"
In only three days, you will visit the Moon Valley, the Los Flamencos National Park, and the amazing Tatio Geysers
Day 01: Calama Airport - San Pedro de Atacama - The Moon Valley
Reception and transfer from the Airport of Calama to your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama. In the afternoon, departure from the hotel to the Moon Valley (4:00 pm in summer / 3:00 pm in winter / 2:00 pm from May 15 to August 13, 2016; summer season begins on October 2. Time subject to confirmationst).
19 km from San Pedro, in the Salt Mountain Range, is the Moon Valley, declared a Nature Sanctuary and monument and protected by the uniqueness of its beauty. It consists of a depression surrounded by small hills with impressively sharp peaks. The tour is an imaginary trip to landscapes that do not belong in our world, but to other planets. We will see Dinosaur Valley and Death Valley, where there is a spectacular panoramic view of the area. We continue to Moon Valley, where we will find geological formations that are the result of successive foldings of the earth's crust.
In the valley, it is possible to appreciate the salt sculptures known as Las Tres Marias, formed by wind erosion.
Continuing with the tour we will walk through the interior of the caves that remain from the old deposits, to get closer to valley where is the Big Dune. After a break, we will climb this dune, which impresses with its size and is used for extreme sports as snowboarding
Towards dusk, a bold palette of golds and reds appear, touching the soul and sensibilities of the visitor.
Return to the hotel. Lodging.
Day 02: San Pedro de Atacama - Altiplanic Lagoons
Departure at 09:00 am from the hotels.
Atacama, the largest salt flat in Chile, has the one of the largest flamingo reserves in the country (Reserva Nacional Los Flamencos). We will head to a small path, towards the Chaxa Lake, in order to see and identify the different flamingo species in the area. Miscanti and Miñiques Lakes, located at 4,220 meters, are also part of the National Reserve, and are managed by the indigenous community of Socaire. The eruption of the Miñiques volcano one million years ago caused the water that once drained to the Salt Flat to stagnate, giving rise to these two highland lakes with their blue water and white shores. On the way back, we pass through Toconao, typical handicrafts in the Atacama zone, also the San Lucas Tower (National Monument and town symbol). We will visit the small factory and handicraft market in the area, featuring alpaca wool items and handicrafts in cactus.
Return to San Pedro at 4:00 pm approximately.
Day 03: San Pedro de Atacama - Tatio Geysers - Calama Airport
Departure at 5:30 am. Pick up at 4:30 am from the hotel (subject to confirmation).
We leave at dawn from San Pedro de Atacama Hotel to go to the Tatio Geysers, a geothermal center with geysers that can only be seen very early in the morning. After seeing this spectacular sight in a magnificent natural setting, we eat breakfast. On the way back, we see the majestic Andes Mountain Range, whose peaks seem close enough to be touched. We then arrive in Machuca, a small llama herder settlement. The village is filled with adobe houses with thatched roofs. Green wetlands lend a special charm.
Transfer to airport.
End of services.
Today rates(Jan/01/2017 until Mar/31/2017)
Rates in USD (US Dollars), per person
- USD Dollar
- CLP Chilean Peso
- Transfer from and to the Airport between 08:59 pm and 07:00 AM must pay an additional fee.
- Program applies for flights arriving before 11:00 am and departing after 06:00 pm.
- Services in shared vehicle with guide in English and Spanish language
- Transfer from/to the airport does not include guide.
- Services excursions can vary in order, before the arrival to the airport. When receiving passengers at the airport is given a welcome letter with details of services and final times.
- Hotel Kimal and Altiplánico Hotel Rates not valid for long weekends and holidays.
- Transfers (Transfer from and to the Airport between 08:59 pm and 07:00 AM must pay an additional fee).
- Regular Services with Spanish / English speaking guide.
- Excursion detailed in the itinerary.
- 2 nights of lodging in the selected hotel.
- Air tickets.
- Entrance fee. They must be purchaded directly in San Pedro de Atacama.
- Personal travel insurance.
- Meals and extras not specified.