San Pedro de Atacama
Map view full size
Get to know more about the Destination
San Pedro de Atacama is the country's archaeological capital, a typical zone and a mandatory journey for visitors.
Through its narrow streets, it's possible to enjoy a singular architecture made of adobe.
The crafts are made of cacti, chañar, tamarugo trees, volcanic rocks and wood. Gastronomy includes dishes with different kinds of corns; lamb, cattle and llama meet as well as rice, chillies and quinoa (a natural cereal). In San Pedro de Atacama you can attend to religious ceremonies such as "La Candelaria" –February 2nd.-, "Carnaval de San Pedro" –in the same month-, the "Fiesta religiosa San Pedro" –June 29th.-and the "Adoración del niño Dios" –December 25th-.
- Archaeological, ethnographical and folklorical interest zone. Singular handmade crafts and gastronomy. Religious tourism interest area.
- Hiking, horseback ridings, bicycle ridings, photography.
- Second region. Located 38 kilometers north of Toconao and 320 kilometers northeast of Antofagasta.
- How to get there?
- Anywhere-Santiago: Airway. Santiago-Antofagasta: Airway and land route, by Panamericana 5 North. Antofagasta-Calama: Land route, by Route 25 CH. Airway. Calama-San Pedro de Atacama: Land route, by Route CH-23. Public and private transportation. Anywhere-Calama: Airway.
- When to go?
- All year long.
- Desert weather. The temperature oscillates between day and night time, and the summer rain is more frequent with a high media of 3 milimeters. The high media temperature is 24,5ºC and the lowest is 17,1ºC.
- Housing, food, transportation, outdoor activities, handmade crafts, camping.
- Tulor town, Puritana springs, Cordillera of the Salt, Chaxa Lagoon, Tara Lagoon, Miscanti and Miñiques, Peine, Quitor Pukara, Jere Stream, Los Flamencos National Reserve, Atacama Salar, San Pedro de Atacama, Socaire, Toconao, Moon Valley, Licancabur Volcano.
Some featured hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
This hotel boutique is in the exit of San Pedro, has a spacious and pleasant place and a large offer of sports and outdoor activities to discover all the attractions in the zone. The design was carefully elaborated to keep the spirit…
From USD$490 Ref. Double
This place is definitely one of the most traditional and oldest hotels of the region. Made of volcanic stone, the hostelry is a nice place which mixes the history of the region with the comfort of today. History This place is definitely…
From USD$158 Ref. Double
Hotel Altiplánico is located three blocks from downtown San Pedro de Atacama, on the road to the Pukará de Quitor. This hotel recently inaugurated offers to its visitors one of the most typical and beautiful architectures of San Pedro…
From USD$240 Ref. Double
Hotel Poblado Kimal is situated in the historical centre of the ancient oasis town of San Pedro de Atacama, on the corner of the main street, Caracoles. The 21 charming wood and adobe cabin-like rooms with terraces are distributed…
From USD$173 Ref. Double
San Pedro de Atacama touristic attractions
Near touristic attractions
|Lasana Pucara||50 mi|
|El Loa and Calama||50 mi|
|Loa Park||53 mi|
|Calama Archaeological Museum||53 mi|
|Chuquicamata Coppermine||56 mi|
Destinations by Areas of Chile
- Atacama Desert and Altiplano
- La Serena, beaches and astronomy
- Valparaíso, Santiago and Vineyards
- Easter Island
- Lakes and Volcanoes District
- North Patagonia and Black Forest
- South Patagonia and Torres del Paine