San Pedro de Atacama
Map view full size
Get to know more about the Destination
San Pedro de Atacama is the country's archaeological capital, a typical zone and a mandatory journey for visitors.
Through its narrow streets, it's possible to enjoy a singular architecture made of adobe.
The crafts are made of cacti, chañar, tamarugo trees, volcanic rocks and wood. Gastronomy includes dishes with different kinds of corns; lamb, cattle and llama meet as well as rice, chillies and quinoa (a natural cereal). In San Pedro de Atacama you can attend to religious ceremonies such as "La Candelaria" –February 2nd.-, "Carnaval de San Pedro" –in the same month-, the "Fiesta religiosa San Pedro" –June 29th.-and the "Adoración del niño Dios" –December 25th-.
- Archaeological, ethnographical and folklorical interest zone. Singular handmade crafts and gastronomy. Religious tourism interest area.
- Hiking, horseback ridings, bicycle ridings, photography.
- Second region. Located 38 kilometers north of Toconao and 320 kilometers northeast of Antofagasta.
- How to get there?
- Anywhere-Santiago: Airway. Santiago-Antofagasta: Airway and land route, by Panamericana 5 North. Antofagasta-Calama: Land route, by Route 25 CH. Airway. Calama-San Pedro de Atacama: Land route, by Route CH-23. Public and private transportation. Anywhere-Calama: Airway.
- When to go?
- All year long.
- Desert weather. The temperature oscillates between day and night time, and the summer rain is more frequent with a high media of 3 milimeters. The high media temperature is 24,5ºC and the lowest is 17,1ºC.
- Housing, food, transportation, outdoor activities, handmade crafts, camping.
- Tulor town, Puritana springs, Cordillera of the Salt, Chaxa Lagoon, Tara Lagoon, Miscanti and Miñiques, Peine, Quitor Pukara, Jere Stream, Los Flamencos National Reserve, Atacama Salar, San Pedro de Atacama, Socaire, Toconao, Moon Valley, Licancabur Volcano.
Some featured hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
Located in the Ayllú de Larache, in 20 old indigenous preserved properties, Explora Atacama Hotel is situated 30 kilometers away from San Pedro de Atacama, close to the famous Puritama Hot Springs, the best place to relax and enjoy…
From USD$2.940 Ref. 3 Nights
Tierra Atacama is a boutique hotel located by the exit of San Pedro de Atacama, in the old Ayllú de Yaye, just a few kilometers from the center of San Pedro, featuring a wide offer of sport and outdoor activities for you to discover…
From USD$540 Ref. Double
Hosteria de San Pedro features a privileged location, in the center of the San Pedro de Atacama town, allowing the vsiitor an easy and immediate connection with the most important tourist centers of the area such as San Pedro Main…
From USD$163 Ref. Double
Altiplánico Hotel is located 3 blocks away from the center of San Pedro de Atacama, on the way to Pukará de Quitor. In its inside area features swimming pool with excellent view of the Andes Mountain Range and volcanoes, terraces,…
From USD$240 Ref. Double
- 30, 1899, 00:00
San Pedro de Atacama touristic attractions
Near touristic attractions
|Lasana Pucara||50 mi|
|El Loa and Calama||50 mi|
|Loa Park||53 mi|
|Calama Archaeological Museum||53 mi|
|Chuquicamata Coppermine||56 mi|
Destinations by Areas of Chile
|Atacama Desert and Altiplano|
|La Serena, beaches and astronomy|
|Valparaíso, Santiago and Vineyards|
|Lakes and Volcanoes District|
|North Patagonia and Black Forest|
|South Patagonia and Torres del Paine|