HISTORY OF PUERTO VARAS
The city of Puerto Varas began to be recognized in 1853 by the Government's determination to annex the uninhabited lands in southern Chile, as Lake Llanquihue, which was considered Territory of Colonization.
The settlement of the area began gradually, mainly by immigrants from Germany and Austria, which established themselves in the area of La Fabrica (The Factory). However, it was not until 1925 that Puerto Varas was appointed an official municipality.
The climate in Puerto Varas is oceanic rain, with heavy rainfall throughout the year, increasing its intensity in spring and winter. It is this climate that provides the beautiful vegetation of the area, known as Bosque Siempre Verde de los Lagos (Evergreen Forest Lakes).